Branding is just as important for your startup as it is for big names. Indeed, many corporate companies try to look more like small firms in order to appeal to consumers that prefer to support independent brands. Dan Einzig of agency Mystery explains how to develop your own product identity.
Most young business owners I have talked to already Know that branding is essential to their business, but a surprisingly high number of them don’t really know why.
All businessman recognize the link between successful businesses and strong branding, and aspire to build a brand that creates similar success for themselves. They know well that branding is not just a logo. But only few realize that successful companies have this branding at the heart of the business.
What is brand?
A successful company has to be consistent in communication and experience, across many applications:
2. Print, signage and packaging
3. Website & advertising
4. Content marketing and social media publication
5. Sales & customer care service
Building a brand is obviously a process. However, the ongoing effort will result in establishing long-term relationships with all the customers.
Brand building steps:
There have 10 important steps on how to successfully implement branding for your business:
1. First start by defining your brand:
Review the service your business offers. Pinpoint the space in the market it research the emotive and rational needs and concerns of your customers. Your product should promote your business, connect with your customer base and differentiate you in the market.
2. When building your companey, think of it as a person:
All of us is an individual whose character is made up of beliefs, values and purposes that define who we are and who we connect with. Our personality determines how we behave in different situations. Obviously for people it’s intuitive and it’s rare that you even consider what is your own character is. When you are building a brand it’s vital to have that understanding.
3. Consider the driving your business:
What does it believe in, what is its purpose and who are that brand’s heroes. These can help establish your emotive brand positioning and inform the identity for brand communications.
4. Aim to build long-term relationships with all customers:
Don’t dress up your offering and raise expectations that result in broken promises, Build trust with honest branding always clear what is your brand is and be honest to the values that drive it every day.
5. Do not repeating the same message in the same way over and over again.
6. Don’t try to mimic the look of chains or a big brands.
7. Be innovative, bold and daring – stand for something new.
8. Always consider your branding when communicating with your customers.
9. The old idea of stamping your logo on everything won’t cut it.
The future branding is engaging and respect your customers’ intelligence by not giving everything away up front, generate some intrigue.
10. Define and narrate the brand stories to the audience so that people become more excited.
This is the process to foster ambassadors who revel in telling other people what they have discovered.