SSL CertificatesSecurity & Encryption
SSL stands for “Secure Socket Layer.” It is a technology that establishes a secure session link between the visitor’s web browser and your website so that all communications transmitted through this link are encrypted and are, therefore, secure. SSL is also used for transmitting secure email, secure files, and other forms of information.
It has two specific functions:
- Authentication and Verification: Just like your identity is authenticated by your birth certificate, SSL certificate authenticates certain details regarding the identity of a person, business or website.
- Data Encryption: The SSL certificate also enables encryption, which means that the sensitive information exchanged via the website cannot be intercepted and read by anyone other than the intended recipient.
A standard website without SSL security displays “http:// ” before the website address in the browser address bar. This stands for “Hypertext Transfer Protocol,” and is the conventional way to transmit information over the Internet.
However, a website that is secured with a SSL certificate will display “https:// ” before the address. This stands for “Secure HTTP.”
SSL certificates are generally used to:
- Securing communication between your website and your customer’s Internet browser.
- Securing internal communications on your corporate intranet.
- Securing email communications sent to and from your network (or private email address).
- Securing information between servers (both internal and external).
- Securing information sent and received via mobile devices.
SSL certificates are of different types: Self signed, Domain validated, SAN(Subject Alternative Name), Extended Validation (EV) etc.
Extended Validation (EV) SSL certificate is detected. If the information does not match, or the certificate has expired, the browser displays an error message or warning. All SSL certificates are issued by Certificate Authority (CA).
Secure your site. Boost response and customer confidence with an affordable Turbo or High Assurance SSL Certificate.Trust Cleonix, and protect transactions and customer data with a SSL Certificate.